Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Tribute to my Nana

My Nana, Jennie LaBrue, passed away February 19th, 2009, just 3 days shy of her 85th birthday. I was born the day after her birthday and named after her (Jennice is my middle name.
She loved music, and could play multiple instruments. She won music competitions. She was a music teacher, and in later years, her and my Papa were in several bands together. Actually they played together until this past summer. When Nana and Papa moved to a retirement community she donated her organ to the common room so that she could still play.

She Married Verle LaBrue in May 1945. He was a soldier, so she joined the USO to be close to him. She was always so daring, and not afraid to try new things.

They opened a jewelry store together. Nana had a wonderful financial mind. My Papa was a jeweler and a watch repairman. We loved coming to their store and dressing up as princesses! The store was robbed on a few occasions, and one time, Nana chased the burglar into an alley and sat on him until the police came. He had swallowed some of the rings, and she made his stomach get pumped!


The bought an RV to start taking the grandkids (there were 6 of us) on vacations every summer. Not to mention all of the fun we had sleeping in it at their house! We went to Disney World, the Kentucky Derby, Nashville, and many other places. That is still what us kids like to talk about!



They were parents to my mom Verla, and Jerry. They lived in Columbia Mo almost their whole
married life. A great place to raise a family! ( I was born there too)

Family photo in later years.


In 2005 we all gathered together to celebrate their 60th anniversary! It was a very hot summer day and I was pregnant, but it was so worth the trip to be there with them.


Aren't they cute!! This is almost 64 years together.

Nana loved music, and her and papa were rarely apart. Here they are playing at one of their many concerts together.

Here Nana is with Madison. When Trent joined the Army I went and stayed with them several weeks. Almost every night she sang to Madison and rocked her to sleep.

They are so in love! They are always taking care of each other.

Here is 4 generations together.

Nana & Aiden. We were with them for his 1st birthday.


With family at a get together.


Here is me & my Nana. My grandmother, and my friend.

These are stoclings that she made for everyone in the family- her entire family! Logan's got ruined in my shed, so this Christmas she made him a new one eventhough she was beginning to get arthritis in her hands.
Last summer she decided that she wanted to divide up all of her worldy possessions and see people get them. All of the family heirlooms that were passed on, she included a letter telling their story. This is a bowl that her father had given his mother (so my great great grandmother.) That was just one of the treasures I recieved.

Nana & Taryn

This is the last picture we have with her, and with thier house. They lived there 43 years.

This is a clock I made for Nana & Papa with our family pictures on it. It was one of the few things they brought with them to their new apartment.

These are flowers that we made them that the kids were happy to see at their apartment.




Nana's organ, now in the community room.

This was a tribute the other people in her apartment building put up for her.



I was able to make a picture tribute to her to display at ther funeral. She left me all of her pictures. I will now have fun getting them into albums.


Me & my Papa.


Nana wanted to be put in a mosyleum. Here the kids are putting flowers in front of it.

My brother Brenden having a moment. He is 16 years younger than me, and he spent a lot of summers alone with Nana & Papa. They took him around with him to play in their band. He also was spoiled of course!

Nana loved purple and she wanted all of the grand kids to have a balloon to release in the sky.


Good bye Nana. We will love and miss you, but are thankful that you are at peace with Heavenly Father. We are so thankful to be a Forever Family, and we will look forward to being with her again. She did so much for me, for all of us, and really anyone that she met. She was the most charitable person that I have ever known. I will try to follow her example. Thank you for all you have done, I love you.

7 comments:

Leene said...

What a beautiful tribute, your Nana sounds like an amazing person. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures and love that you all released balloons in her honor. Eileen

MANDY said...

What an amazing grandmother! You had such a special relationship with her...you reminded me of my own grandmothers who have passed on and how special they are/were to me. She sounds like a truly spectacular lady!

Deana said...

I too had a special relationship with my grandmother. I now live across the street from where she lived for 45 years. Everytime I walk down the path to grandmas I can feel her there. We had all of her work done and now my grandma is sealed to her parents.We did this several years ago in DC. What a wonderful experieince. I love the wonderful tribute to your Nana. You are so talented. Love you!

Happy The Man said...

Wow, I am inspired to want to be a better grandparent someday because of your Nana. I loved my Grandmothers, but toward the end as I was an adult, I started to realize that I didn't really know them. Neither were LDS so we didn't share the important things in life, which I think makes all the difference in the world.

I love the story where your Nana chased the burglar down and sat on him and made them pump his stomach. What a great lady!

Cathleen has told me how close you were to her and it just made me think, that's because she went the extra distance to have a personal relationship with her grandchildren. What a wonderful lady, and a wonderful legacy she left behind.

I hope that Papa is hanging in there OK.

Ira said...

This is so sweet! I love all the pics - especially the ones of your grandpa. I am glad that you two were so close and that she shared so much with you and your family!

Cathleen said...

Very nice blog tribute!! It is nice to put a face with this wonderful Grandmother that you have talked so much about. Thanks for taking the time to share her.

The Merz said...

Wow Heidi, that is a beautiful and complete tribute to your Nana.Isn't she so sassy young. Loved the story of her stitting on the thief. Heheh Wonderful, thanks for sharing.